This seminar held over the weekend of 11 to June will help you improve both your oral and written skills in Legal English. In total we will do 10 hours of legal training between 2.30pm and 8pm on Friday 27 June and 10.30am and 4.30pm on Saturday 28 June
The course will provide comprehensive training in Legal English, covering the key areas of legal practice. It will also provide you with a useful refresher course if you are preparing for the ILEC (International Legal English Certificate) in July.
Who is the Course Aimed At?
The seminar is suitable for anyone working in legal practice. In particular practicing lawyers, law students and legal Translators
The Course will cover the following key areas:
– Key Terminology: common terms of art for lawyers, easily confused words, legal phrasal verbs and key vocabulary.
– Principles of legal writing style: how to achieve clarity of expression, consistent usage of terminology and how to apply your writing style to particular documents
– Practical Exercises in Legal Drafting: including trainer feedback
– Avoiding Common Problems in legal writing: ambiguity, jargon, sexist language
– Differences between American & British Legal English: differences in writing conventions and key terminology
– Contracts Overview: different types of contracts and analysis (including conditions, obligations, authorisations and limitations). Key Clauses contracts, princples of legal drafting and contract redrafting exercises.
– Pronunciations and Presentations: How to pronounce difficult words in English and how to structure and deliver an effective presentation
– Contract Negotiation techniques: how to prepare and structure a negotiation including negotiation exercise.
– Advocacy Skills: How to prepare and deliver effective court advocacy in English
– Final discussion: questions & take-home points.
Venue and other practical information
The seminar will take place at our offices located at Calle Villanueva 8 1 Izquierda 28001 Madrid, Spain.
This office is very centrally located and very close to the Madrid Colegio de Abogados. There is parking nearby and the office is close to Metro’s Retiro, Colon and Renfe Recoletos.
Coffee and other refreshments will be provided at break times throughout the day, although lunch is not included. In addition an electronic copy of a comprehensive written course book and materials will be provided to delegates in advance of the course date. This is included in the course fee.
Please note that the cost of accommodation, transport and lunch on the course dates is not included in the registration fee and is the responsibility of each individual delegate.
Attendance at the seminar is limited to a maximum of 10 delegates. The course will be interactive and involve practical exercises designed to test and develop skills in each area covered. These exercises will take the form of pair and group work involving discussion, negotiation, drafting and document correction.
As mentioned above, delegates will be asked to send their own texts in advance of the seminar, which may include for example extracts from e-mails, contracts memos or other documents produced in your daily life.
The seminar will be given by James Stephenson BA hons who is a practising Solicitor under the jurisidiction of England and Wales. James obtained an honours degree in History from the University of Hull and later completed the CPE and Legal Practice Course at the College of Law. James has practiced as a qualified solicitor since 2005 specialising in Employment and Commercial law. James has taught Legal English in Madrid since 2011.
The timetable for both days will be as follows.
Friday 27 June
2.30pm to 5.00pm
30 mins break
5.30pm to 8pm
Saturday 28 June
10.30am to 1.00pm
1 hour break
2.00pm to 4.30pm
Price and terms
The fee for the seminar is €139, which includes the cost of the seminar, the training materials. It does not include the delegate’s travel, lunch or accommodation costs. The fee must be paid upon registration for the course.
If it becomes necessary for you to cancel your registration, please notify us by email as soon as possible. Refunds will be made on the following basis:
1. A full refund less an administrative charge of €50 will be made in the case of cancellations made no later than 28 days before the date on which the seminar is scheduled.
2. A refund of 60% of the fee will be made for cancellations made between 28 and 14 days before the date on which the seminar is scheduled.
3. A refund of 30% of the fee will be made for cancellations notified less than 14 days before the date on which the seminar is scheduled.
For further information please e-mail firstname.lastname@example.org or fill in the contact form below.